Saturday, January 01, 2011

Gratitude Day 1: A New Beginning...and an Adventure



Happy New Year! Let me begin by saying how excited I am for this endeavor. It is inspiring, uplifting and promising. It is also completely and totally necessary and therefore will be something that I not only stick to but something I will want to force myself to adhere to if necessary. I, along with most human beings, tend to get lost in the daily dramas and disturbances of life. I quite literally can't see the forest for the trees at times. I get caught up in the minutiae without recognizing and acknowledging the blessings I am greeted with every single day of my life. Because honestly, even when you are smack dab in the middle of what feels like the darkest period in your life, there is something to be grateful for and something that the world is trying to teach you. I feel that finding gratitude in the every day is also centered in learning something every day. By finding something to be grateful for you are bringing recognition to an area that you had previously ignored, overlooked or took for granted. Gratitude is a way of bringing light to an area that had been hidden by shadows. I am going to spend this entire year documenting everything that fills me with gratitude and a stronger appreciation for life. Even on days when it feels like nothing is going my way, I will highlight those hidden gems of beauty because those are the days when being grateful is essential.

Here's what my New Year's Eve wasn't. It wasn't a wild night of debauchery. It wasn't reckless, crazy, drunken or dizzy. It was warm, comfortable and familiar. It was spent with family. It was a night of great food, laughter and childlike joy. It was perfect!

I am grateful for my family. I am grateful that I can have the ones I love within arms reach when ringing in a brand new year.

No comments: